The Family Closet
Clothing & Consignment Sales
Hi friends! My name is Amy Poteat Kennedy and this is my wonderful husband, Michael! We are the owners of The Family Closet Consignment Shop in West Hamlin, WV!
I hope you are anxious to get info on the shop and see all we have to offer, but let's get to know one another first! In 2012, we moved from North Carolina to West Virginia. My husband was stationed in Charleston at the Air Force base. Soooo, we opened a tiny little consignment shop in Hamlin, WV. It wasn't long before larger store became available. That is the store we worked out of for the past 10 years at the plaza in Hamlin. We absolutely loved it there! Recently, in September 2022, we relocated to West Hamlin, WV, only 7 miles away from the previous location. The move has been a blessing and we are doing wonderfully! My family and I moved back to North Carolina after my husband's retirement from the service almost 4 years ago. We travel back and forth to West Virginia every 2 weeks to complete consignment logs and to tag all of your amazing consignment! If we do not personally get to greet you at the store, we are missing out, but we are working diligently behind the scenes! We appreciate you so very much and are sincerely grateful to be a part of this growing and humble community! We cannot wait to see you at The Family Closet!
Heyyyyy! I'm Toni Lucas - the best employee on planet earth. Honestly though - we cannot say enough about this girl! She has been with The Family Closet for many years. We literally could not function without her. Unless she is running errands for everyone, taking care of her animals, or simply staying busy with her beautiful granddaughters, she will be at the store! Stop by and say Hi! She deserves a huge pat on the back!
***Employee of the decade ***
Please say hi to Sandi Watson! She is our newest employee and an absolute joy to work with! If you need help, this is your girl! Sandi is a sweet and extremely reliable woman. We appreciate her sincerely, and love having her at The Family Closet! Stop by and say hello!
*Future employee of the decade*
Now, Let's talk FAQ's......
Here are some basic answers to questions we are often asked about how our store works, requirements for consignment, and other general info:
We are ALWAYS accepting new Consignors - we get a variety of items from consignors, and it works perfectly for our space. If you bring in a unique item that we cannot find space for, we will return it or discuss putting it out as soon as we get space. We cannot accept large furniture.
It is difficult to reach us by phone - if you call and hear my sweet little child's voice (he is 20 now so I cannot possibly delete it!), it is simply because store phone calls are forwarded to my personal cell phone. If I am not in West Virginia at the time, it is difficult for me to answer questions pertaining to accounts. If you have questions, Facebook is the quickest way to reach us! We operate with a small team and some things are just too hectic to manage at the store while handling phone calls. We apologize and are always handy at the store for any questions you may have - come see us!
We are a consignment shop- we sell your items for a 50/50 shared profit- we do not purchase or trade clothing or any items - we consign only.
Do we accept volunteers? ALWAYS! We can use the extra help organizing and cleaning.
If we are hiring, it will be posted on our Facebook page.
The Family Closet operates on a colored tag system - each month, 3 tag colors are NOT on sale and at least 6 colors ARE on sale! You will see signs throughout the store to detail the monthly colors. Just ask if you need help!
How often do we get new clothing in? EVERY.SINGLE. DAY.! We LOVE our consignors. They keep us busy, and we appreciate it. If you didn't see something you wanted yesterday, it may very well be there today!
Our store is very seasonal! We do carry bathing suits all year, and sweaters all year - so you can always find what you need. But we also make particular areas for seasonal items during holidays such as Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, if we have the space.
Layaway? We do not currently participate in layaway due to the nature of our store. Since we consign items that belong to other people, it would be difficult to operate a layaway that would be fair and manageable. If you have a particular need, talk to us and we will try and work it out in your favor.
Can prices be changed? Because I am not personally at the store more than a few days a month, changing prices cannot be done by employees. However, if you notice anything wrong with an item or question a price, talk to us! Employees are interacting with one another daily - a simple text message amongst us can be an easy fix to change things up. We will always work with you if we can!
How many consignors do we have? We have over 400 open contracts! Thank you, West Virginia!
You do not need an appointment - Just drop on in during our normal business hours.
We do protect our merchandise and employees with an array of security cameras! Please help keep our community safe!
If an item does not have a price tag, we will not sell it - please do not remove tags <3
Every item you bring may not go out onto our store floor - some items may be donated or reduced if they do not meet our requirements.
You are not responsible for pricing or tagging your items - although we do prefer suggestions for expensive items.
Contracts last 90 days from the day that all of your items are tagged and displayed - it may take up to 30 days to complete all of the tagging - you will receive a full 90 days - and often longer - to display and sell each of your items.
You are responsible for pulling, bagging, and picking up any consignment that does not sell - if you would like to have it back. If you do not pick-up left-over consignment, it becomes a half price item for the store.
We accept no more than 3 boxes, bins, bags, or totes of consignment every 2 weeks per consignor - more than this will result in a donation of the excess (large bags are fine!).
You must leave your consigned items for the full 90 days - we spend our time and resources to tag, store, and display inventory and expect to have a full 90 days to sell it.
There are zero exceptions in reference to cleanliness. If we notice any odor, animal hair, cigarette smoke, storage smells, visible wear, or any signs of neglect, uncleanliness, questionable safety, etc. with your items, we throw them away immediately. We will not call you to pick your items up. We will put a note on your contract and limit further consignment with you. Please understand that cleanliness and sanitation are our top priorities. We keep a super CLEAN and fresh store!
Please keep an inventory of the items you bring in - we will be able to tell you how many items sold and your profit, but not the exact items that sell. We keep a broad record.
We are not responsible for damages, theft, or loss. Please insure your items if necessary.
We require a minimum consigning price of $5.00. If your single item is not worth that amount, it will be tagged for our store at a discounted rate.
We do not sort or look at consignment the moment you bring it in. As long as you have followed the rules, your items will be tagged and displayed.
We work with the community to provide clothing to those in need - often getting referrals from DHHR. If you are in need, get a referral and come see us. We will not turn you away.
Donations are always welcome.
We also sell using the online platform EBAY under the name - THE FAMILY CLOSET 3 (The Family Closet 2 is our family's NC store) - we may sell your current items and items that have been left by consignors, donated, or have gone out of season, on this site. Some items simply sell better online rather than in the store and vice versa. The storefront and the ebay store both give you the same buying and selling advantages. If we choose to sell your merchandise on ebay, you will still receive 50% of the sale price. Ebay sales offer much greater prices than what we can sell for in the store, so it is another great outlet for certain items.
Consignment is a great way for us both to make money - I love donations, but we encourage consignment as well!
We do not mail checks to consignors - please come to the store to check your account balance. It is difficult to find the time to give account information over the phone while we are working with customers. We adore you and want to help - there just isn't enough of us!
ID's are required to use credit or pick up checks. We will not give checks to anyone who is not on the account.
Please be aware of the season and clothing you are bringing in - consignors that bring in summer items during the winter, and vice versa, will not get credit for those items. They do not sell off season.
Consignors: all sales are put into the computer once a month - example: At the end of October, all September sales will be logged.......this happens every month. We stay one month behind on purpose as it gives consignors extra time to sell consigned items.
Need quick answers to your questions? Send us a message on our Facebook page - The Family Closet (WV)! We typically answer back quickly.
Have we covered everything!? Please ask any questions that you may have. This may sound overwhelming, but it truly is not. Just bring your items in, folded and clean, seasonal, and you will have zero issues! Our shop has a wonderful reputation that we are proud of and have worked hard for, for over 10 years. Our customers and consignors are repeat and very loyal. We would love for you to be a part of that! We value the relationships we create with our customers and consignors! Thank you!
KEEP SCROLLING DOWN FOR MORE INFO AND A COPY OF OUR CONTRACT!
***YOU CAN FIND US 3 DIFFERENT WAYS!***
SEARCH FACEBOOK UNDER - THE FAMILY CLOSET WEST HAMLIN, WV
*use the link below to access the FACEBOOK page*
VISIT OUR STOREFRONT
Address: 13 LINCOLN PLAZA IN WEST HAMLIN, WV
SHOP ON EBAY AT - THE FAMILY CLOSET 3
*use the link below to access the ebay store*
WHAT DO WE SELL!?
Just about everything! Clothing for men, women, children, and infants. We have shoes, purses, household items, bags, jewelry, pictures, bedding, and so much more! And YES, we have a fitting room to try on your goodies! *We do not carry large furniture*
IF WE DO NOT HAVE IT, TALK TO US ABOUT IT AND WE CAN LIKELY FIND WHAT YOU NEED!
This is our old store picture, but it is still exactly what you will see!
Womens and childrens clothing!
Soooo many shoes!
Lots of womens blouses! All sized and color coordinated for ease!
Womens shorts, capris, and pants!
Love this sign!
We got your name brand clothes!
Shoes, shoes, and more shoes
Womens winter clothing
Bathing suits and shapewear
Womens blouses and pants
Purses, bags, and backpacks
Lots of pretty jewelry
Memories from the beginning
The Family Closet is open every Monday - Friday from 11am to 5pm and Saturday 12pm-4pm
We are closed on Sundays
We close for all major holidays
We close when schools are out for inclement weather
Occasionally our store will have to close for personal reasons. We are a small business and are almost always open. If we must close in the event of an emergency, we will post it on the Facebook page as an update.
The Family Closet accepts cash and credit cards!
THE FAMILY CLOSET CONSIGNMENT CONTRACT
Welcome! Here is how it works: When you bring your items in, we will select what we believe our customers will have interest in. Sometimes there will be items we cannot accept. Please understand that our customers preferences must be our selection guidelines. We base prices on condition, brand, style, and demand and will get the best possible price for you. All prices and reductions are done at the sole discretion of The Family Closet. We reserve the right to run sales and promotions on consigned items.
1. The Consignor and The Family Closet enter into this agreement where the Consignor distributes, and The Family Closet accepts the consigned items. The Family Closet shall exercise reasonable care for all consigned items which remain the sole property of the Consignor until the contract terminates.
2. Consignor shall receive 50% of the total sale amount of items, to be paid once a month for 3 months
3. All monies owed to the Consignor will be distributed in the form of a check. The Consignor also has the option to use available funds as in store credit anytime throughout the contract period if it is available through sales. The Consignor must consent to add others for funds/consignment pickup on each account.
4. After the 90 day consignment period, the Consignor is responsible for pulling and bagging unsold items at no cost to The Family Closet. The Consignor has 15 days after the end of their 90 day contract period to pick up remaining, unsold items from The Family Closet; after which all consigned items left will become the sole property of The Family Closet. Furthermore, all funds must be picked up within 30 days of the contract end for each account. If the consignor fails to pick up a check within 30 days of account closure, an additional 30 days of in store credit will be allowed. Using available credit or failure to pick up funds within 60 days of each account end will result in account forfeiture by the Consignor.
5. If a Consignor brings in items after their original contract has been signed, a new account number will be given and the Consignor will receive an additional 90 day period to sell those items.
6. If a Consignor should choose to retrieve any consigned item before the 90 day contract period is up, a fee of up to $10.00 will be charged to offset the cost of time and materials used to stock and advertise the Consignor’s item(s). You must leave all items for 90 days to avoid this fee per item retrieved.
7. The Family Closet recommends that the Consignor assign prices for specialty items – this can be done by placing a small piece of tape or a sticker with the price that YOU want for your item(s). The Family Closet will consider this before pricing accordingly. If you choose, The Family Closet will gladly price your items based popularity and demand. We reserve the right to run sales and promotions and to raise and lower prices based on current economic and/or competitive selling conditions.
8. Items for consignment must be presented in clean bags, bins, baskets, or boxes. All items consigned must be in season and in good condition. They must be clean, washed, folded and without holes and stains. Additionally, if you present items that have animal hair, unpleasant odors including cigarette smoke, are unclean, over worn, are out of style or out of season, we will dispose of these items immediately or heavily reduce the price – furthermore, you are not likely to receive credit for these items. If The Family Closet decides to keep the items but must wash them, you will receive no credit for the item(s). Furthermore, we will not contact you before disposing of these items. Do not bring in clothing that have yard/garage sale/storage odors. DO NOT bring in items that are wet, mildewed, or have ANY visible neglect. Furthermore, we cannot accept items in which the style is greater than 10, and occasionally even 5, years old - these items will be donated.
9. The Consignor shall not bring in any items that do not belong to him/her without the appropriate permissions. If there is a question as to ownership of a consigned item, credit/check will not be given until ownership of the consigned item is clear. No contracts for minors under age 18, are allowed.
10. Consignors must keep a log of items consigned if they wish to have one. Furthermore, invoices and tax records are the responsibility of the consignor, not The Family Closet. We keep a broad, general invoice sheet as a record of our sales. At the end of your contract period, you may obtain a copy.
11. The risk of unintentional loss or damage of ANY consigned item shall be the burden of the Consignor. The Family Closet is not liable to the Consignor with respect to damages, theft, and/or violations that may occur to consigned items. Please insure your items at your own cost. No compensation or replacement shall be the responsibility of The Family Closet.
12. We cautiously accept items that may easily cause injury such as weapons, guns, knives, hunting items, etc.. Furthermore, items that are difficult to regulate are accepted only under certain conditions. These may include belts, socks, small toys, ties, etc. – please note that these items may be donated* Also, any item with a questionable sanitation such as used undergarments are NOT accepted. However, used bras and bathing apparel in excellent condition is accepted. The Family Closet reserves the right to accept or decline any item at any time.
13. Items accepted for consignment will typically be out for sale within 15 business days. However, some bulk items and/or large consignment amounts may take up to 30 days to be completed. Contracts will begin when the last of the Consignors items have been placed out for sale. Should the consignor bring in a large amount of items, please understand that The Family Closet may require additional time.
14. The Family Closet has a minimum consigning price of $5.00. This minimum maintains efficiency in our efforts to tag, distribute, and log consignment. Please note that if your items do not follow these guidelines, they are likely be donated.
15. Consignors will be charged a $10.00 fee for any item sold by The Family Closet that was not brought in, in working condition. Do not consign broken items or items without their complete components.
16. We do not typically sort items at our counter when the Consignor brings them in. Make sure items follow our requirements before dropping off. The Family Closet will gladly return any item to the consignor that we cannot use unless donation is requested.
17. ID is required when picking up funds, using credit, or retrieving items from consignment contracts.
18. We use the online platform EBAY as part of our selling force. We may select certain consigned items to sell on this platform. If we do so, the consignor is compensated in the same manner as if the item were sold in our physical store - typically at the advantage of a much greater price. The ebay platform can be found by simply googling - "The Family Closet 3 Ebay". Consignors get the added benefit of selling through various channels with The Family Closet! Additionally, we have another physical storefront in North Carolina called The Family Closet 2. Some items may be sold there as well - we base this on seasonal changes.
The Family Closet sincerely appreciates you trusting us with your consignment experience!
Thank you for checking out our website!
We cannot wait to see you at THE FAMILY CLOSET!!!